360 Theater - Playing back 360 videos located locally on user's devices

CameraTraveler

360 Theater - Playing back 360 videos located locally on user's devices

Post by CameraTraveler »

Hello. I sent a couple of direct emails asking about this over the last couple of weeks and haven't heard a response back so I thought I would try you guys on the forum instead.

I demoed the 360 Theater and very excited to use it as one of my main tools for virtual teaching during Covid. The challenge has been the reality that there always seems to be at least 1 student with a slow internet connection which keeps the rest of the class from actually using the 360 Theater in practice as in order to have a useable viewing experience a 360 videos need to be at least 4K. Anything lower than that will be a low resolution mess believe it or not. With all that in mind, is there any way to direct the 360 video player to pull not from Youtube or any other URL but to simply point to a common local folder that already exists on each of the student's own computer?
(ie. C:/Download/Lesson121520/Rome360.mp4)

The end goal is to negate any issues due to someone's slow wifi by simply having all of the large files (such as 4K 360 videos and higher resolution 3D models planned for that week's lesson) emailed to the students earlier in the week for them to download to their computers (for 2D PC mode) or VR headsets (Oculus Quest 2, GearVR, etc) and then later on when all the students meet together in the 360 Theater, the host (teacher) would ideally have play/pause/skip control over all those video files in a way that everyone would be in sync.

(I know what I'm describing is possible as it's available in a couple of other apps out there but none of them use a shared space/avatars and I think that social element is very important.)
Conor

Re: 360 Theater - Playing back 360 videos located locally on user's devices

Post by Conor »

Hi,

First, we apologise for the missed email. We are here to help.

We are aware of this as an issue with user's slow internet connection causing them to download out of sync, it is a system we are reviewing for user downloads and we hope to have it included in the future.

We do offer a private video hosting option to ENTERPRISE users who create Lessons using our Content Creator.

The created lesson can include all media, avatars, and IFX that a creator has added and can be preloaded on your device and played as one file with user controls.

If using ENGAGE with an ENTERPRISE account is something you are interested in we can forward your details to our team.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, we are always working hard on continuously updating ENGAGE for our user's needs.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Conor.
CameraTraveler

Re: 360 Theater - Playing back 360 videos located locally on user's devices

Post by CameraTraveler »

I appreciate you getting back to me. I would be interested in learning more about how the Enterprise world creation options work. Please email me with a contact phone number to whomever is best to talk to about these tools. Thank you again. (cameratraveler27@gmail.com)