Creating IFX for submission | ENGAGE

ENGAGE asset library discussion and upcoming packs.
Emir

Creating IFX for submission | ENGAGE

Post by Emir »

Below are a set of recommendations, depending on the type of IFX is needed to bring into ENGAGE.

What file types are compatible?
The following file types .obj and .fbx are compatible to be imported as IFX into ENGAGE.
If Unity is available to you and you wish to import as a Unity prefab, this is also preferred.

What kind of devices do we consider?
Since ENGAGE is cross platform, and can be operated on Desktop Computers and Mobile Android Devices, we must ensure that 3D models are optimized to run on minimum RAM requirements.
As a best practice, if you can build your 3D model as optimized for Android, they will readily run on Desktop Computers, as they will have higher specifications.
Also, since the platform runs in VR, which already consumes a large amount of device memory / RAM, it is important the assets are optimized anyway.

What do we mean by optimized?
Optimization is the process of making sure a 3D model package is as small and as refined as it can be, to be used inside ENGAGE.

What kinds of things can I do to optimize my 3D package?
There are many things you can do.
  • Removing unnecessary geometry
  • Simplifying over-complicated geometry
  • Reducing texture resolution to the bare minimum acceptable visual quality.
  • Reducing the number of Polygons and Triangles within the geometry of a shape.
  • Creating a texture map atlas.
How should I optimize the 3D geometry?
3D models should be reduced to the minimum amount of 3D geometry as possible. If possible, a shell with a texture.
For example, if there are inner surfaces of a building which are never used, then do not add a texture and maybe even remove interior surfaces.

How should I optimize the textures?
That the textures are optimized and as small as they can be, without sacrificing too much aesthetic look.

Are their any programs I can use?
There are several options available for optimization. 3D modelling programs such as AutoDesk, Maya and 3D Studio Max come with built in optimization tools.
In addition, Game Engines such as Unity and Unreal Engine have a variety of 3D model optimization settings.
There are also plugins which you can buy to reduce and optimize your 3D models. One such example is called "Simplygon".

Are there any recommended Triangle Counts?
3D models should generally be kept to under 15,000 tris.
However, it really is contextual. For example, something simple like a coffee cup, should be under 500 tris.
Whereas something complex like a City IFX could be around 40k tris.
This should give you a guideline to work from.

Are there any recommended Poly Counts?
Once inside ENGAGE, all polys are calculated as triangles.
If you're unsure if the polygons have been triangulated, you may have quads which count as two triangles each.
3D models should generally be kept to under 15,000 tris.
However, it really is contextual. For example, something simple like a coffee cup, should be under 500 tris.
Whereas something complex like a City IFX could be around 40k tris.
This should give you a guideline to work from.

What recommendations do you have about lighting for the IFX?
Lighting is expensive for performance, and has already been set correctly inside locations in ENGAGE.
IFX should not come with lights. If you absolutely need additional lighting for an IFX, you can use a lighting IFX or recommend a new one.
Lighting IFX are not available on Android.

Dr. Star

Re: Creating IFX for submission | ENGAGE

Post by Dr. Star »

What about animations from Unity?
I have a scene, with an elevator, in a science museum. This elevator has a Mesh_Collider applied to it, so it will move the character. This was first a ly a test, a part of an animation, with interior and exterior doors, for 3 different levels, of a museum. The doors open and close accordingly. It grew to be a trial to see what will work in VR worlds, starting with AltSpace. It would be interesting to find out how Engage will handle this. I am with the Enterprise group BurrCastle and would like to understand the appropriate way to submit an IFX that includes animations.

Emir

Re: Creating IFX for submission | ENGAGE

Post by Emir »

Hi Dr. Star,

My apologies for the delay on this.

At the moment we don't support custom scripts in Engage, this is something we will be reviewing for future releases.
Colliders are in our development plan and will be available for IFX in future releases.
Animations can be set up using an animation Controller in Unity and added to a prefab.